The Lake Tour Khao Sok and the Khao Sok floating bungalows are in a remote location. Of course that is a big attraction and it is an amazing place to visit. However there are things you should understand before visiting the Khao Sok floating bungalows on the Lake Tour Khao Sok. With this information you will have a great trip.
Lake Tour Khao Sok – Know before you go
1. The Lake is a wilderness with changing environmental conditions, so be ready to sacrifice some convenience and comfort. The weather can change quickly, from sunny to rainy and back again. This can create delays and change the itinerary if necessary. The remote location also makes medical care difficult, as it takes at least one hour to reach the hospital from the Khao Sok floating bungalows. Please remember these factors when considering the ‘Lake Tour Khao Sok’. This is especially true if you want to participate in activities such as hiking.
2. Lake tour khao sok Group Size: You will join a group of 10-14 people of different abilities and ages. Thus, please help your guide stick to the schedule by being on time. The Lake is now very popular with Thai and foreign tourists alike. This means more noise and more people, particularly on weekends on holidays.
3. Tour Operator: Often, we organize our own lake tours. However, if we have less than 8 guests signed up, you may join with a group that is organized by a Local Outfitter. The Local Outfitter for lake tours uses guides from Khao Sok. They have less English and hospitality experience than many other places.
3. Jungle Trek: The tour includes a jungle trek that is moderately strenuous. The specific route changes with the time of year. It may involve wading across a river, and also walking through or entering a cave. One route requires a short, rope-assisted climb. Please consider your personal fitness level. The hike is optional, and if you opt out, you can relax at the raft house. If you experience mobility issues, or are physically unfit, please do not go on the jungle hike.
We also recommend that children 10 and under do not go on the hike.
Khao Sok Floating Bungalows
If you are staying overnight the Khao Sok floating bungalows are very basic accommodation. You will share bathrooms. Each room has a thin mattresses, woven bamboo walls, and electricity for a few hours at night. Your bungalow may or may not have a mosquito net, as mosquitoes cannot live on the lake water.
On the plus side you will enjoy an amazing and unique experience. Sleeping on the water with your morning dip just a few steps away. Restaurants serve great food and drinks and you will be completely surrounded by nature.
Need more information?
Checklist for the ‘Lake Tour Khao Sok’ and the ‘Khao Sok floating bungalows’
- National Park Fee 300 Baht
- Hat, long sleeve shirts, sunscreen
- Towel and swimming suit
- Flashlight or headlamp
- Plastic/waterproof bag to keep clothes and other items dry
- Insect repellent for trekking
- Hiking clothes and shoes that can get wet (i.e. running shoes)
- Extra clothes for the return trip to the resort (the van is air-conditioned, and can be cold)